[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
ducatipaso.org • View topic - 750 Sport refresh
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 750 Sport refresh
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:54 pm 

model: 750 Sport
year: 1990
Hello from WA state!

So I have a buddy who had this parked in his garage for 15 years with only 8600 miles on the odometer. Picked it up today for a deal I couldn't pass up. Needs a good cleaning and rubber parts replaced but it's almost all there. Deleted airbox with dual 38 Mikuni carbs as well. Plan is to partially tear it down to really clean it up, replace all worn rubber bits and get it running again. After all, they are only original once. It is missing the rear hugger and the rubber on the mirrors is in bad shape.

I have restored/rebuilt many old Hondas but never a Ducati. I am sure I will have a ton of questions along the way.

Post subject: Re: 750 Sport refresh
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:58 pm 

year: 1988
Nice. Looking forward to seeing how it cleans up. You probably already know but don't start it until the belts are changed and definitely don't ride on those tyres. Keep us posted.

Cheers
Andrew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:53 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:12 am 

What parts did you get for the 17" wheel conversion?. I'm thinking I might go down the same path if the 16" tyres don't turn out to be good enough.

Cheers
Andrew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:46 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:32 am 

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:45 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

Bike looks great. Rear huggers are pretty rare on this bike. Most people binned them as they were huge, and ugly. Haven't found a graceful replacement yet, as no other years fit, and the bolt pattern is odd.
I see you have stock turn signals, which is uncommon. Most of those get broken and replaced.
Those carbs are really nice, and should bring out the full potential of that motor.
Edit: If you add some 2" rubber elbows to those carbs, you can get the air cleaners up in that empty space under the tank, and it will help with the idle and low speed smoothness.
Pipes, I think, are F1 brand. Should be loud, but sound good.
The 17" wheel conversion is a grand idea, especially with some new modern rubber.
Looks like a great project.

Cheers, Phil

2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:18 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:28 am 

Soda blasted the engine and resprayed it in VHT satin black. New stainless hardware and shipped the carbs out to be soda blasted and rebuilt. (I hate doing carbs). I have decided to not do a full restoration on this bike and take it a bit of a different direction. Since the restored value on this bike seems to be limited I figured I would make it the way I want to with out straying too far from its roots. I apologize to any purist out there and I get it if you would rather I restore.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:47 am 
paso grand pooh-bah

Wow, looks great.
As with all bikes of this vintage, you come to a fork in the road. One says go back to stock and make a museum piece out of it. The other way is to hotrod it, and make a fun bike that you like to ride. Easy to argue either path, but hotrodding the 750 Sport is certainly worth the while. Not many will shed a tear over a Sport not being returned to stock. Now, if you had an F1, I would say go back to stock. But the Sport? In stock form, it had lots of things that just weren't right. Put 17" wheels, upgraded forks and brakes, and you have a really fun light bike that will be hard to beat for smiles per mile. And you won't find another one at the local meet up spot. I, of course, went to the road less traveled and modified it. Still a great bike to go out for a ride.

Your work already is going beyond what I have done. So I'm real anxious to see what you do with the bike. Lots of ways to go, and good bones to start with. Keep us posted.

Phil

2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:31 pm 

Started the mock up of the bike. keeping the front faring as is, including the square headlight. Slight modification to the tail and might remove the rear passenger pegs / exhaust hangers for a more modern approach with aluminum hangers.

Steering stem swapped on the 900ss front forks, this was easier than I expected using a little heat and my press.

Rebuilt the new to me 900ss rear shock and have been cleaning all the other 17 inch swap parts.

Carbs have been ultrasonic cleaned and in the process of rebuild.

Once the mock up is completed I will tear everything down and send the parts out to my powdercoater. This weekend I hope to get the new belts installed on the engine, new clutch and do a valve adjust to button up the engine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:51 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:10 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:15 pm 
paso grand pooh-bah

model: 750 Paso
year: 1987
I meant, isn't the overall length of the 900SS forks shorter? Seeing an SS fork in a Paso, the front comes down quite a bit which can't be so good for handling.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:24 pm